An Introduction

I first became interested in 4AD, a UK independent record label founded in 1980, towards the end of the '80's. I was falling in love with the music of Dead Can Dance, Clan of Xymox, Pixies, Bauhaus and The Birthday Party and was surprised when the 4AD label sampler "Lonely Is An Eyesore" came out in 1987 that all these bands were from the same label.

After visiting a Pre-Raphaelite exhibition of some American's collection of art, I came to thinking of all this musical art that 4AD have released that may one day drift into obscurity unless someone shows it as art. So now I'm on a crusade, to collect the first ten years of 4AD's releases and exhibit the collection on 4AD's 50th anniversary in 2030. This is a big task which will have some interesting twists and turns along the way.

Thursday 17 November 2011

Competition Time!!!

Even with the best database or tracking spreadsheet, I should imagine all of us accidentally buy a release that we find we already have. This happens too often to me. I’m just not careful and thorough enough at times and don’t realise my mistake until the point I excitedly unpack the delivery and add it to my collection...

DOH!!!....I have that already, f..ff...fff...forty two and half!!

Sometimes this is good. It gives me a chance to compare the two releases and on occasion find out that there is a slight difference in matrix, or a code, or a small piece of text. Which then adds as another piece of the vast puzzle of release versions and variations.

Occasionally though the releases are exactly the same. But this can be good in this case. As you, good reader, have a chance at a freebie. In the spirit of respect to all you collectors and those who appreciate the gems of 4AD. I am willing to give away this weeks’ dumbass duplication to an appreciative reader. Postage included.

This weeks spectacular cock up, is in the shape of a Cocteau Twins, Italian release of Pearly Dewdrops Drops 7” vinyl single on Virgin Records from 1984.

http://www.discogs.com/Cocteau-Twins-Pearly-Dewdrops-Drops/release/2985350



I have pondered for a while how best to do this in order to minimise some greedy git trying to get it, just to sell it on ebay. Well firstly, it isn’t in mint condition, but then when it’s for free I hope a collector would just appreciate owning a copy. Secondly, I would love to know why you would like this in your collection. Hopefully that will put off, or at least make it a little more obvious, those of you who are genuine and against some arse that wants to make an easy cash in.

Out of the genuine looking requests I will pick out a lucky winner at random.

To apply, send an email to me using my name (all one word) at gmail.com. Let me know why you would like this release for your collection and how you define your collection. I have no interest in anyone’s email address and will not be using your email address for anything other than informing you of your success. I will certainly not be passing your email address on to anyone else and will not use it for any mailings etc (just to clear that up)

Get your email in by the 2nd December 2011 and I’ll randomly choose a winner that weekend.

Good luck all and I look forward to reading your responses

***Find me on Facebook***

No comments:

Post a Comment